Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween

Today is not a day that I love. As a Christian I feel as if we're forced to endure such a day against our wills especially when your raising children. We don't want to deprive them from participating in the trick or treating process but at the same time you don't want them to partake in something that is against what you believe and what you are trying to teach and instill in them. So what do you do?

Of course a great deal of Christians just look past what the meaning of it is and let their children have fun , dress up for the night and don't worry about it. Where others will attend different church's who have festivals and fun uplifting things for the children to do all still while earning candy. Do I believe in either way not really. Should churches who preach against this way of life be succumbing themselves to this during and on this particular day. I don't think so. I think thats still giving in to the ways of the world. Have I allowed my children to engage in such activities , unfortunetly I have to say yes. I still wanted them to have fun, but in a safe enviroment and give them the enjoyment of what others get. Have I also allowed them to trick or treat around the neighborhood , again unfortunetly yes, relunctently. Cause again I don't want to deprive them of something their peers get to do. So what do we as Christians do.

I'm really not sure what the best solution is. I havn't really figured that out yet. Sometimes we'd just stay home, not give out candy, not dress up or anything. We'd just keep to ourselves, I'd read to the kids a story from the bible. We'd discuss why we don't participate in this pagen holiday. So my kids get the why and they understand but as a parent it is hard to not let them have fun with others as well.

A friend of mine today mentioned wouldn't it be neat if we could find a way to instead give out candy we gift canned foods instead so that we can bless someone else. Now that is an awesome idea. But, how to do that. I'm going to sit and ponder on that suggestion for a bit and figure out a way to do this so that next year it won't be a challenge for me or my family. We'll already know , love , and be willing to bless someone or someone's.

So what will you do?


No comments: