Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Rite Of Confirmaion

My son Austin just got confirmed into the Lutheran Faith on Sunday May 17th what a blessing this truly is. After two long years of studying the bible, devoting his time to others, finding ways to get connected in the body of Christ, plus the many other growth and learning experiences he's had a long the way I'd say this was well deserved. It takes hard work, and dedication to be confirmed, but it's not just about being confirmed, it's truly about the Lord and where he stands with him. It's about his faith ,and his beliefs. I can honestly say I was a little worried about him. He's in no way a "bad" kid, he's actually very well mannered, loves everyone, is very respectful, and generous. He is also the kid that well, doesn't speak his mind a whole lot. He pretty much keeps things to himself, doesn't easily share his thoughts or insights with others. So it was kind of hard to gauge him, it was hard to actually know where he actually stood in his relationship with the Heavenly Father. He was often falling behind in his confirmation work, he didn't much care to be writing his personal creed, but he did it. He got caught up, he wrote his creed, and he got up at the podium along with his fellow confirmands and read it allowed to other members of the church. Wow, what an accomplishment that was for him. As his Mom I can truly say I am so proud of my boy. To get up in front of your peers, their parents, and other members of the church and share your story is a big deal and he did it beautifully. I knew he could do it, as I had told him so many times.

 The hardest part for him was his Creed and when I had asked him why, at first he would just tell me its just stupid Mom, no one's going to do it. I told him, it wasn't a choice and that every confirmand is to do it in order to be confirmed. Oh boy did he ever fight me. So I let it go for a while, as sometimes with him that's what needs to be done , as time got closer I told him he needed to sit down and start writing. He then looked at me and said Mom, but I don't have a story. I don't have anything unique or special that has happened to have brought me to God. I just know in my heart that God is with me. I said to him , Austin everyone has a story even if you've grown up in the faith. I gave him few examples of the things he could share about and then we talked about it a bit more and he got right to work. When he was finished he asked me to proof read it. So I did that, and in his creed I discovered that he truly has grown in his love for Christ, and he truly is a child of God.

God had blessed me and my husband with two wonderful God loving and faithful children. I have seen them grow through their struggles. They truly amaze me with their love of God and the love they give to others.

We had a tiny celebration with some family at his favorite restaurant at the Olive Garden shared in love , laughter, and great conversation. For those that know and love Austin they know what a true blessing and honor this Rite of Confirmation was for him.

Now that both my children are confirmed that means a great many things wait for them in this world some good, some bad. At this point in their lives all I can do as a parent is to be there for them. Answer questions, pray for them, but most of all give them over to God. I know God has great plans for them and I am looking forward to see what He uses them for. Am I afraid that they may fall away from the Father, am I afraid of what the world may try to convince and influence upon them. Yes of course I worry, but I also know that God is with them and he will lead and guide them along their paths. He knows the plan he has for them all I can do is Pray that all will be well for them. Satan likes to try and take control , it is up to my children at this point to determine what is right and just, vs. what is wrong and evil. It truly is up to them to figure out how to navigate in the world, I merely am here to help guide their paths and let God do the rest.

My hope for everyone is to find what works for their life but to do so in a way that is honoring , pleasing, loving, and kind to one another as well as themselves. For we all need to be a bit more loving , accepting, and tolerant of each other and less about pushing agenda's down others throats. There truly is enough love and kindness to be given out so we all really need to try harder to give it.
May you all be blessed in your journey of life.

No comments: